A community garden project in Coon Rapids, Minnesota.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Inviting neighbors

This weekend, September 16, I am inviting every household on this end of 99th Avenue to participate in a community garden. I am offering to host a plot of garden in my yard for the coming year. Of course if others would like to host plots of garden that would be great too.

The idea is that we work on the garden together and harvest it together. I imagine it being a fairly informal thing, people coming when they can to pick weeds or cut flowers or harvest veggies. I will start getting the beds ready for spring this month. People are welcome to help with that as well.

My yard is large enough and gets lots of sunshine. I plan to have raised beds (since I have sand and not really soil in my yard) and so starting this weekend will collect organic matter for them so that they will be ready to plant in the spring.



This is a picture of my raised beds now (morning shot). I plan to do at least two more behind these. I don't know yet if I will use wood to hold them in or not.

I am hosting a community garden to begin to get to know my neighbors better and to feel more a part of this neighborhood. I have lived in my house for several years and it is so easy just to go to work and come home and never meet anyone. I am interested in knowing the people around me and learning to support each other in ways that make sense.

If you only see one post, please click on September 2006 on the right side. The others were archived, somehow. I am still working on the setup. Thanks for your patience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home