A community garden project in Coon Rapids, Minnesota.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Food waste composting

Ok, so someone read my post about our half buried garbage can and said, I have no idea what you are talking about. So I re-read it and, in fact, I don't understand it from what I read either. I guess I came in and wrote that after working on it for a couple of hours and forgot no one else had been there.
The garbage can is now a composter for food. Regular composters are usually pretty big and you put leaves and grass clippings and that kind of thing in them. You can turn them (some are round and rotate and some you do with a shovel or pitchfork) or not turn them (then the layers "cook" down together). And you can put food waste into most composters, but you can only put in so much, otherwise it makes your compost smelly and not "cook" correctly.
I was looking for a method to get rid of all my kitchen waste instead of putting it in the trash can. I found a couple for sale, there is a cone kind that was on several websites, but then I came across this pdf file on making your own out of an old trash can. I actually had an old trash can left by the previous owner of the house, so I decided that was the perfect idea for us!
I will let you know if it works or not!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home